The “Bloodmobile” will be returning to the Council on Aging parking lot on Friday, Sept. 15 for the second annual Blood Drive. Residents who have signed up can expect an approximately 45 minute process which will result in the donation of highly-demanded blood for those in need. Council on Aging’s Outreach Coordinator Sharon Doliber explained what to expect:
“We will have little snacks and so forth for people who come,” Doliber said. “There’s a process from ‘soup to nuts’ from the time you sign up and go up into the van. It’s a pretty straightforward and easy procedure.
The drive will begin at 9 a.m. and go on until 2:30 p.m. With signups still underway for this year, Doliber is unsure of how many to expect come next Friday. However, if last year’s turnout is any indication, Doliber is confident this year will bring more of the same.
“We exceeded last year’s number,” Doliber said. “We had a waitlist that we were able to fill at the very end. So it’s popular.”
Doliber’s former working experience with Mass General Hospital has helped her facilitate the partnership. She explained how she has witnessed first-hand the need for procedures like blood transfusions and how they save lives.
“I’ve seen occasions … where there’s been an accident or a prolonged illness where people were in dire need of a blood transfusion,” Doliber said. “I guess I sort of have a little place in my heart for that.”
People are encouraged to be well-nourished before arriving to give their donation. The majority of the Bloodmobile bus staff are emergency-trained. After donating blood, Doliber says it is important to stay for an additional 10-15 minutes for precautionary measures.
Potential donors can sign up by calling the Council on Aging at 781-631-6225. Online sign-up is available at http://bit.ly/Marblehead1.