A scholarship honoring Charles J. Garrett, Jr. (“Chuck”), a Marblehead resident and longtime youth sports coach, is being offered for the second year to Marblehead seniors who will be graduating at the end of the 2023 school year. Garrett passed away on March 8, 2021, after years of battling advancing cognitive and physical dementia-related challenges.
“Created through many generous contributions by family and friends, this scholarship honors his lifetime. No doubt he would be humbled yet pleased by this named award benefiting a Marblehead graduating senior with their educational pursuits,” the scholarship reads.
Garrett became the first in his family to attend and graduate college as an industrial engineer. For 40 years, he worked in purchasing and manufacturing executive roles in the aircraft engine industry. His favorite pastimes were volleyball, golf, and skiing. Both of his sons are Marblehead High School graduates who are currently in the fields of renewable and sustainable energy and cardiovascular research. Garrett’s wife is a former youth soccer board volunteer, school special education staff member, labor and employment attorney, and higher education administrator and educator.
Funds for the scholarship were contributed through GoFundMe and direct donations were sent to Marblehead Youth Soccer Association.
The scholarship amount of $2,500 will be given to a current Marblehead High School senior graduating in May or June 2023. For purposes of this scholarship, consideration as a graduating senior is defined as:
- attending Marblehead High School regardless of their home address, or
- attending a public or private high school outside of Marblehead ( i.e., a day or boarding student, with a Marblehead home address)
Note: home address is where the student resides with their parent(s) or guardian(s).
Interested applicants must also meet the following criteria:
- Cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 or cumulative average of 80 percent
- Past or present Marblehead Youth Soccer Association participation (any role and any time or amount, e.g., clinic participant or leader, team member, coach, referee, or other volunteer role)
- Pursuing post high school educational studies in the field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (not only at a college or university – other accredited or licensed programs are included such vocational training in related trades)
To apply, students must submit five completed items: (1) scholarship application form; (2) résumé; (3) unofficial transcript; and (4) one page cover letter describing how the applicant demonstrates the criteria, as PDF files attached to (5) a brief email message.
To submit completed applications, email them to email@example.com.
The recipient will be chosen by Charles J. Garrett, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Committee and the deadline to submit an application is April 15, 2023.
To obtain the application, visit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NWmlK5sg35PWqT8GKQAj3joQNI_JrjSe/view.
For more information about the scholarship and to donate, visit https://www.gofundme.com/f/charles-j-garrett-jr-memorial-scholarship-fund.